press release 2-28-2017 cps closing school early

Dear Members,
As you know Governor Bruce Rauner vetoed $215 million last year in funding for CPS because he felt it was a “bailout” of the mismanaged district. As a result, CEO Forrest Claypool announced today the possibility that he would be closing all CPS facilities three weeks early beginning June 1st instead of June 20th unless the Illinois General Assembly provided additional funding. Claypool also announced the possibility that summer school sessions would be cancelled except for high school summer school courses.
CPS is expected to save $91 million by ending school early and another $5 million by canceling some summer school courses.
Although no final decisions have been made, Local 143 is in contact with CPS to push for our members’ contract rights concerning pay and benefits if early closings occur. We will keep you posted as soon as we have more information. In the mean time I just wanted to let you know we are on top of the issue and will continue to aggressively represent your rights.

Bill Iacullo

Dear Engineers

During the next few days the quarterly Collaborative meetings are being held in your collaborative area by your LFM. At these meetings some information about  Integrated Facility Management  is being given. Please note this is preliminary information, however you should listen and ask questions about CPS’ role Union issues can only be answered by your Union. On your behalf, I have requested several documents from the CPS with regards to the impact to you of this IFM. Once I receive these documents, I will post the names of the 1st wave of schools. At this point, until I am officially notified of the names of the schools in this first wave, they can not be correctly identified.

You are being told about the impact if the school you are presently working at is part of the first wave. I want to assure you, at negotiations this past summer, the union has insured your protections in our new 5 year contract. This 5 year bargaining agreement has your best interests covered and has your seniority rights covered.  Remember the Union is the only one who has your best interests in hand. Do not discuss any type of transition until your union has informed you that CPS and the union have agreed on the terms. Your rights will be applied when any decision will have to be made, so you will have a choice to stay with CPS during this 1st wave or take a position with the vendor, the union will inform you before you have to make your decision. At this point the Union can not advise you about this choice until I receive detailed information about any transition. Please note, I will call a special meeting on to discuss your union rights with regards to this transition.

If you remain with CPS during the 1st wave your seniority will count for your opportunity to stay with CPS and where you will work if the school you are presently working at is part of the 1st wave

As with any proposed changes in CPS, many rumors and concerns are out there. I will attempt to clarify rumors as I continue to update you.

Rumor  : You have to stay at the school you are presently working.

Fact :  No your seniority will give the opportunity to remain with CPS during the 1st wave

Rumor : You will not be offered a position if you decline the position with the IFM vendor  in the 1st wave.

Fact : No, during the entire transition though 2nd wave of 2018 you will be offered employment with vendor as per our contract negotiations.

Rumor : Local 143 does not have a contract

Fact : Local 143 has a 5 year contract from 2016 through 2021 which includes a 2% raise  July 1, 2017 and 2% raises subsequent years.

Rumor : Being members of local 143 you cannot be a CPS employee under the IFM

Fact : The decision is up to CPS for us  to remain CPS employees and managed by the IFM, but nothing would prevent this as with the Custodial Workers who are CPS employees under the Aramark and Sodexo custodial IFM pilots and subsequently have remained with Local 73. This is not a logistical issue it is a CPS management decision.

Concern : Pay lanes with the IFM vendor

Answer: The IFM vendors have a contract under the IFM pilots and there are 2 pay lanes: Engineer and Chief Engineer. The pay is not the same as the CPS pay rates.

Concern: Your Pension with IFM

Answer: If you leave CPS employment and become an employee of the IFM vendor you will no longer be in the Municipal Employees Pension fund, your current pension. You will not loose money you have put in to the fund.

Concern: What happens if the IFM is discontinued by CPS

Answer: During the entire life of our 5 year contract if the IFM program is discontinued by CPS engineer postions revert back to CPS employees

Concern: Which of the 2 pay scales would you be if you leave CPS to work for an IFM vendor

Answer: The Union is scheduled to meet with CPS March 7th to discuss the transition. The union will subsequently meet with the 2 IFM vendors to discuss their method of determining which of the 2 pay scales you would be employed at before you transition.

Concern: There will be a waiting period for health insurance if you leave the CPS and work for the IFM vendor.

Answer: While that would normally be the decision of the IFM vendor, the  CPS through Operations has assured us that there will not be a break in health care.



Along with our attorney, I met with CPS yesterday Tuesday February 21, 2017 to discuss the proposed transition to this IFM program. From this meeting I can tell you, as of today, there is nothing to report other than the Zones that are intended on being given to the IFM vendors : 1,5,6,7,10 and 12 and that the proposed transition date is July 1, 2017.

It became apparent at yesterday’s meeting that no thoughtful or educated discussion would be possible regarding any type of transition until much needed detailed information is shared with the Union from CPS. This information has been formally requested and will be reviewed by the union and our attorney  and subsequently shared with you, the members, when Local 1143 receives the documents from CPS.  The schools in the regions listed above and slated for the proposed transition in July is part of this documentation as to date the Union has not been formally notified of those schools by CPS.

My advice is that you do not discuss any type of transition with anyone until you hear from the union. There has been no agreements of terms or procedures. There is so much left to be discussed before any type of descsion should be made it is not in your best interest to make any descsion NOW.

Your seniority will be as per our contract and any transition to non IFM schools in July must be worked out before I can advise you of the terms. So please, do not discuss anything about transitioning until you hear from Local 143, your Union. Anything said prior to that has not been agreed to by your union and would be subject to change or not being true.

To recap, the meeting yesterday was purely infomration gathering. No discussions about the details of transaction were made. The employer made it  known their intent was to transition Zones 1,5,6,7,10 and 12 July 1st but the details of those schools has not been given to the union as this date. When CPS provides us with a list of schools in those Zones I will post it here on our website.

Once again, no agreement was made to date. I recommend that you do not discuss any movement, transition or any other details regarding this IFM program until I have met with CPS. Once the documentation is recieved and after a thorough review of thier documentation, I will formally advise you of your rights and the details. If you are approached by anyone please let me know.

The website will be updated as more information is available.


Bill Iacullo, President


To date, NO discussion with CPS have been made about the IFM issue. The Local and our Attorney will be meeting with CPS’ legal team to gather information about the IFM program. As I have said previously, nothing has been discussed so anything you might have heard regarding the IFM program is rumor. Also, it is my recommendation that until I inform you, do not accept or imply that you are willing to take any offers. Any offers at this time can not be supported by anyone, as your union has not agreed to any terms regarding the IFM.

Be assured your best interests are the primary goal of myself and the officers of local 143. Your seniority rights will prevail. As identified in the contract, your seniority date is the date when you were first employed by CPS in a Local 143 bargaining unit position. I will update all of you when I have information.



Dear Engineers

I am reporting to you that to date, CPS has not met with me to discuss the transition and they have not reached out for a meeting yet.

There is a lot of misinformation about the transition. As I said at the Union meeting,  ANYTHING you hear is RUMOR. Unless you hear it from me do not believe it. You have a contract with CPS which includes seniority rights. These rights will be enforced as per our contract. Please be assured that an updated seniority list is being prepared. When I meet with CPS I will update as information is available.

I thank all of you for your patience during this difficult time and all the hard work you do on a daily basis.




The Nest regular membership meeting is

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 9, 2017 at 7pm at Dunbar HS

Local 143 143b. Joins the CTU in asking for the resignation of CEO Claypool




As previously notified:

Friday February 3, 2017 is a ZERO.  You will not be paid for Friday as per the CEO. You are not required to work.

The day has been designated as an unpaid furlough day for ALL CPS Employee which means you will not be paid and are not to report to work.





Dear Sister and Brother Engineers

As you know by now the UNELECTED School Board members approved unanimously the half billion contract awards to the two favored IFM vendors regardless of the fact CPS is broke and employees are asked to loose pay in the way of furlough days to fund these type NON TRANSPARENT expenditures. The concerning part is that these UNELECTED members voted with NO cost study to prove savings as is required of every school district in Illinois except Chicago. Further, they admitted it was not to save money but to help principals more efficiently. They called it “Cost Neutral” which is a term used by political privatizers to falsely justify the higher cost of privatizations. This contract will cost CPS hundreds of millions of dollars more per year which should be spent on education and not rewarding campaign donating vendors. The fact is, principals DO NOT want this so called “Efficient program” as was so eloquently explained to the UNELECTED Board members at their meeting on January 25, 2017 by Troy LaRaviere, President of the Chicago Principals and Administrators Association. Regardless of his plea, to return the engineers to the principal’s oversight as is clearly stated in the Illinois School Code, these UNELECTED, rubber stamp members voted to proceed with this haphazard plan.

This being said, it has been brought to my attention that last week at a meeting of all the FM and LFM types, the head of facility operations, Chris Williams said that I have all the information about this program. Let me set the record straight, that is not true and I can tell you have not even been approached about the transition by anyone in Operations. The only thing I have been told during this whole privatization scheme is that the vendors are being asked to hire us if we meet their qualifications. End of story of what I have been told. The same information you were given in the contract violating memo sent from Alfonso de Hoyas Acosta on Tuesday January 24, 2017, is the same information I recieved from that same memo at the same you all recieved it. Note, this memo was sent a day before the UNELECTED school board was to vote on the IFM signalling to me, that the vote was a done deal. All of the UNELECTED school board members would approve and they did.

To date, CPS has not met with me to discuss the transition. When they do, I will update you, the members. I urge you—PLEASE— do not reach out to anyone but me for information about the transition or your rights. Any information you get from anyone else is purely rumor, speculation or their own opinion and not factual. Once again, presently, I have not met with CPS about transition and have no further information but will update this web page as information becomes available. You may be approached and told that it is beneficial to stay at your school. If you did not hear it from me do not believe anything your are told. Please be assured your new contract is in force and your seniority rights will prevail.



Bill Iacullo