Some Engineers who are in schools that are transitioning to Aramark employment have said they were diverted to another unknown vendor who is not part of the IFM. I have contacted Facilities and was told that will be resolved by tomorrow. If you signed up with a vendor other than Aramark this will be changed by information I will be given tomorrow.

Note: The IFM program was approved by the Chicago School Board Trustees in January with only 2 authorized employers of Engineers —- Aramark and Sodexo. I will update how to resolve your application to an unknown vendor when CPS contacts me tomorrow.



With regards to transitions:

  • If you choose to opt out of transitioning to Aramark or Sodexo in Phase 1 Local 143 and the CPS are working on a bid to allow selection of CPS run schools vacancies by seniority.
  • Seniority is the first date you started working in any position with CPS that is covered by Local 143-143B. An updated list will be posted next week.
  • Once CPS and Local 143 agree to how the bid will work to remain with CPS until Phase 2, I will call a special meeting to discuss. The date will be posted on this website


Pension information can obtained by calling the MEABF at 312-236-4700

Some helpful links are as follows:


I have received multiple calls and emails about the Green Sheet posted at 4:05pm yesterday FRIDAY MARCH 10th by CPS.

As you know, CPS has a contractual obligation to send all these types of communications to me first and I have 2 business days to review. The CPS did indeed send this Green Sheet to me asked me to review it. However I was NOT afforded the 2 days to review. It was sent to me at 11:30 am yesterday FRIDAY MARCH 10th. Before I had a chance to review and advise the CPS of what concerns this would raise, they violated our agreement and posted the GREEN SHEET anyway regardless of the contract terms. To be clear, I did not respond with comments to CPS about this Green Sheet that was sent to me just 4 hours before they posted it. Obviously there is some reason that CPS felt they did not have to honor our contract with regards to this and had to rush this announcement posting.

This having been said, Please note that you should not make any decision as to remaining at the school you are presently working in during Phase 1 and becoming a privatized employee by resigning from CPS in this 1st phase until the Union has gotten the questions critical to your decision answered by CPS. It is only fair to you that the issues and questions I have raised to CPS are answered before you are rushed into a decision. These questions have to date not been answered.

I am tentatively scheduling a meeting to assist you in this critical decision for next Saturday. I will notify all members of the time and place. Remember do not discuss your decisions with anyone except your union.  As always, it is  your union that has your best interests with regards to your employment.


  • The seniority date posted here on our website is the ONLY date to be used to determine your transition options. This is decision in PHASE 1 would be difficult at best to make until CPS answers our concerns.
  • You do not have to stay at the school you are presently working in Phase 1.
  • You will be afforded another chance to transition is Phase 2 if you choose to stay a CPS employee thought 2018
  • If you stay with CPS you will receive the 2% increase in pay on July 1, 2017 as per the contract and this increase will count towards your pension.
  • If you stay an employee of CPS and leave the school you are working at that is part of Phase 1, your salary scale will be same as the school you leave regardless of the size of the building you will work.

I remain Fraternally Yours,

Bill Iacullo, President




Please find the attached seniority list. Please note this seniority is time worked in a LOCAL 143  bargaining unit position not your entire CPS employment seniority where you might have worked in other positions in CPS that were not part of this bargaining unit

March 2017 Master Seniority


Please don’t forget the Union Meeting tonight.


Bill Iacullo, President

The next regular membership meeting is





Please make every effort to attend



Bill Iacullo, President



This is the updated list with the additional schools added that were not provided to the union in the original communications over the weekend from the CPS.

PHASE-1-zones-and-schools on union web REVISED 3-7-2017


Also, Please check this web site daily for updates and the time and place of the special meeting to discuss your options either to remain in Phase 1 or use your seniority to wait until phase 2.

A seniority listing should be available later today or tomorrow morning.


Bill Iacullo, President


Below is the listing of the schools in Phase 1 of this transition for July 01, 2017. Remember, do not talk about any transition to anyone until the Union advises you.

I am scheduling a special meeting  with in the next week to discus your options. This special meeting will be a separate meeting from the upcoming Union meeting. If you are at any of the schools in phase 1 you need to attend the Union’s special meeting that will be announced on Monday on this website.

NOTE: Contrary to rumors, Your seniority rights are in tact. A new seniority list will be posted on this web site this week.

If you choose to use your seniority to bypass Phase 1 and remain a CPS employee, you will be offered employment at a school in Phase 2 in July of 2018.





Bill Iacullo, President

Dear Engineers


These past few days there have been meetings at the collaboratives. While most questions cannot be answered at this time about the specifics of this IFM, I assure you that once I receive the detailed documentation from CPS I will be able to identify which schools are involved in phase 1 and what engineers have to make a choice in the first phase to transition employment to a private vendor or to move to a school which is not part if phase 1.  All these transitions are governed by our seniority in the contract.

I will hold a special meeting for engineers to discuss the information once it becomes available me.  At this point, the information being disseminated is unreliable at best.

In addition, part of CPS’ presentation has been regarding Union representation under a private contract.  CPS has no knowledge about and is not in a position to discuss internal union matters. Those issues are to be decided by the International Union of Operating Engineers and will be communicated to you at the appropriate time and from the appropriate Union representative.

Note any questions about pension should be directed to the pension fund.


Keep checking this site for more information.


Bill Iacullo, President

press release 2-28-2017 cps closing school early

Dear Members,
As you know Governor Bruce Rauner vetoed $215 million last year in funding for CPS because he felt it was a “bailout” of the mismanaged district. As a result, CEO Forrest Claypool announced today the possibility that he would be closing all CPS facilities three weeks early beginning June 1st instead of June 20th unless the Illinois General Assembly provided additional funding. Claypool also announced the possibility that summer school sessions would be cancelled except for high school summer school courses.
CPS is expected to save $91 million by ending school early and another $5 million by canceling some summer school courses.
Although no final decisions have been made, Local 143 is in contact with CPS to push for our members’ contract rights concerning pay and benefits if early closings occur. We will keep you posted as soon as we have more information. In the mean time I just wanted to let you know we are on top of the issue and will continue to aggressively represent your rights.

Bill Iacullo